Kogi State Government says it is not planning to shut down schools beyond January 18, 2020, as the Second Wave of COVID-19 continues in the country.
The Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello made this known today while signing the 2021 budget.
Yahaya Bello had earlier made his stance and unique approach to fighting COVID-19 public to all Nigerians.
Nigerian Government had announced shut down of schools and other public places as a result of the Corona Virus pandemic outbreak as a measure to control the spread of the disease.
Due to the second wave of the virus, some State governments have announced ban on Public gatherings.
But the Kogi state Governor says the country has not recovered from the effects of lockdown on the education sector, despite the fact that Kogi is Corona Virus free.
He said the State cannot afford to jeopardize education in Kogi State, hence the plan not to close down schools beyond January 18, 2021.
Kogi students have continued to enjoy normal academic exercises since the lockdown.
The Governor explained that despite challenges posed by the virus, the State has recorded remarkable progress in the sector with the Education law, Confluence University of Science and Technology as well as budgetary allocation of twenty percent to the education sector among others already put in place.